Polo shirts, also known as tennis shirts, were first worn by aristocrats who played polo. They wore them because the shirts were comfortable and had short sleeves with collars. Over time, it became known as a “polo shirt,” which became popular with the public, so it evolved into a general casual dress. The Polo shirt was designed on the premise that it did not need to be tucked into pants, with a long back and short front hemline with a small slit at the side. The hem design allows the wearer to sit down and avoid the usual t-shirt wrinkles caused by too long a front.
POLO shirt Introduction
Before the polo shirt, tennis was played in a traditional shirt, leggings and tie. Later, Polo Ralph Lauren’s style became popular and defined the polo shirt, introducing it to sports and casual wear. Later, it was extended to golf and other sports and even casual wear. Therefore, it is also called golf shirt. Most people often interpret its origin literally, which leads to misunderstanding.
POLO shirt features
As one of the classic legends in the history of casual wear, POLO shirts have always enjoyed a high share of Western men’s wardrobes. Because it is neither too casual like a collarless T-shirt nor too stiff like a shirt, it is perfect for commercial entertainment. The POLO shirt has stayed the same in style, but it is known for its bright colors, breathable fabric, and casual look. These qualities have made it popular in fashion.
What the hell is a POLO shirt? If your answer continues to be “a T-shirt with a collar”, it’s unimaginative.
A POLO shirt is a versatile clothing item that can be worn for both casual and formal occasions. It allows you to feel comfortable while playing and maintain a sense of seriousness when needed. For young people, the POLO shirt represents a fresh outlook on life, combining the pursuit of wealth with the enjoyment of fun. It embodies the desire for an extraordinary and fulfilling existence. Today, we can no longer deny that the products of leisure culture can also become classics. The youthful spirit of POLO shirts will make them the target of many young fashionistas.
Common Fabrics Used for Polo Shirts
- Cotton Pique is the top choice for polo shirt fabric. It’s soft, breathable, and holds its shape well. It has a textured weave that provides additional air circulation.
- Polyester: Polyester fabrics are known for their durability, wrinkle resistance, and moisture-wicking properties. Polyester blend polo shirts keep their color well and can endure frequent washing.
- Jersey Knit: Jersey knit fabrics are lightweight, comfortable, and have good stretch. They are commonly used in sportswear as they allow ease of movement and are breathable.
- Polo shirts made from cotton blends are comfortable, breathable, and more durable. Cotton blends include cotton-polyester and cotton-spandex.
- Performance fabrics, made from materials like nylon or spandex, enhance performance. They provide excellent moisture management, quick-drying capabilities, and increased flexibility.
Manufacturing Process of Polo Shirts
- First, the pattern maker designs on paper. Then, they transfer it to computer-aided design software.
- The person laying out the fabric follows the cutting pattern, placing it in layers. Machines or hand-cut the fabric pieces to shape.
- Sewing: Skilled sewers join the cut pieces using sewing machines. The body, collar, cuffs, plackets, and sleeves are sewn together.
- After making the shirt, we subject it to finishing processes. As part of the process, tasks involve fixing threads, adding buttons, attaching labels, and checking quality.
- The polo shirts are checked after manufacturing to ensure they meet the company’s standards. Afterward, they are folded, packaged, and prepared for shipping or distribution.
Manufacturing Process of Polo Shirts
- Polo shirts have a collar, which is the main difference from t-shirts. T-shirts usually have a round or V-neck collar. Polo shirts, on the other hand, have a ribbed collar with a placket and buttons.
- Polo shirts appear more formal than t-shirts, which people perceive as casual clothing. Polo shirts have a sporty and preppy style. You can wear T-shirts anywhere because they are versatile.
- Sleeves: Polo shirts have short sleeves, although long-sleeve variations are also available. In contrast, t-shirts come in both short and long sleeves, as well as sleeveless options.
- Polo shirts are usually looser and more relaxed than t-shirts. T-shirts can be more fitted or slim-fit. You can find both styles in various cuts and fits to suit different preferences.
- T-shirts are very versatile. You can wear them with jeans, shorts, skirts, and other casual bottoms. Polo shirts look good for both casual and business occasions. You can wear them in many ways. People wear them in professional settings, golf courses, and social events to look more polished.
- Polo shirts can go from casual to semi-formal, depending on how you style them and the occasion. T-shirts are mostly for leisure and informal situations.
Remember that these differences can vary based on specific designs and fashion trends. In the end, the choice between a polo shirt and a t-shirt depends on your style, formality, and what you like.
Ninghow Apparel is a Chinese clothing factory with 30 years of experience in garment manufacturing. We specialize in producing a wide range of clothing products, including polo shirts, t-shirts, hoodies, caps, pants, shorts, sportswear, and more. We excel in providing professional customization services, such as private label Clothing customization.